Saturday, March 10, 2018

Its all gone hot

A massive eclipse, covering a large part of the US, it would be rude not to go and see it.



Having pondered where to go I ended up chosing South Carolina as a likely spot for the 21st August 2017, booked a hotel in January in plenty of time but forgot one thing....

HOT
  quite how hot hadn't crossed my mind, silly really because its right down near Florida and Florida is in the "dont visit in the summer" category  Even New Jersey is in that category because of the humidity !
It wasnt the eclipse glasses I forgot by the way, I was well prepared and even though they had sold out weeks before in the US I bought some online and had no trouble with that.

so: a few highlights before eclipse day

Augusta










Abbeville - not the French one obviously






The place I had actually booked 20 miles away turned out to e an empty house fraud but to chance upon this lovely little town with its hotel of chaotic eccentricity  more than made up for it .

Savannah




















Spanish moss that hangs from the trees isnt Spanish and isnt a moss, its more like the airplants that we get here, they cling to the trees to form a sort of summertime Christmas decoration.


I like Savannah immensely, I think its one of the places on my visit again list- only not in the summer next time.


Wormsloe

The trees just sort of lean over to meet each other in a tunnel, all you have to do is plant them and they do it by themselves apparently.










Even the trip to the beach to cool off was so hot that I spent a whole hour their getting hotter and grumpier before retreating to the car and the air conditioning




No comments:

Post a Comment